Thursday, October 23, 2008

Give Thanks in All Circumstances

I'm continuing to read The Hiding Place, the story of Corrie Ten Boom. God often sends me messages through books. I've actually owned this book and wanted to read it for 5 years, but now at this time He has drawn my attention to it.
In one scene, Corrie and her sister Betsie had been taken to a terrible concentration camp, the worst place they'd been so far. After sleeping outside for days, they were finally given their "beds" inside-filthy, rancid, straw coverd platforms where many women had to squeeze into one bed. Then they discovered to their mounting horror that the "beds" were infested with fleas. Corrie cried out, "How can we live in such a place?" Her sister excitedly responded that God had already provided the answer just that morning as they read the Bible.
I was really excited and hopeful. Just the night before, as I was starting Kalina's middle of the night feeding, I looked down to see ants crawling over her and me in our bed! The mosquitos are finally less bothersome, and now we're plagued with ants! (As an important side note, this is a reflection of this tropical, hot country-not of the housekeeping in this home.) I was so upset and frustrated. Yet another problem! Poor Nadeem had the fun task of killing ants while I tried to feed a hungry baby.
I was particularly interested in hearing what God had told Betsie about living in such a place. She referenced the verse in First Thessalonians that says "Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances." She was so happy to share with Corrie that they should give thanks! Inwardly I moaned. You've got to be kidding! This is the great revelation? I don't want to give thanks! She prompted Corrie to start giving thanks. First they gave thanks that they were together. Well, Nadeem and I are here together, so I could give thanks for that. Then they gave thanks that they had their Bible which had remained myseteriously hidden from the guards' eyes during inspection. We have a Bible here. I could give thanks for that. Then Betsie said to give thanks for the fleas. Corrie thought her sister had lost her mind. I did, too. Betsie reminded me of Stephen in the book of Acts, who, as he was being killed, asked God to forgive his killers. Corrie often wrote that her sister was not of this world. I agree!
This passage really made me think-after I finished being mad at the idea of giving thanks. Most days I try to record praises in my journal. I'll sit until I can recall even a simple item for which to give thanks such as a cool breeze or an email from home or fresh fruit. However, I have never given thanks for what I consider hard or unpleasant. I thank God in general that He's using this journey for good and that He'll bring us home, but I haven't thanked Him for ants or mosquitos or vaccines and tears or missing packages; you get the idea. I'm not sure it's in me to give thanks in all circumstances just yet.
Later in the book, much to my surprise, the importance of the fleas was revealed. Each day Betsie was able to host a Bible reading/worship time for many women. Strangely, the guards never investigated their activities but left the ladies to themselves although the guards patrolled the other areas of the camp. One day Betsie discovered why. She overheard a guard saying that she would never go into that flea infested area! I was astounded. It brought to life the verse from Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for the good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."
This morning I had a couple of different thoughts of what to share on the blog today. I asked God which to share. For the past few days we've been ant free. We prayed against the ants and for God's protection, and in the natural the servant cleaned our room thoroughly. Just then an ant crawled onto my hand. :)
Nadeem and I would like to thank all of you for your prayers and for your thanksgiving. We would like to ask all of you to please pray for our host family here-Someira (suh MY ruh), Ayesha (EYE shah), and Tayeb (TIE eb), and of course Hasan in the US. Hasan's parents return on Saturday evening from their trip to India where his mom had surgery. She is recovering nicely. Please remember all of them in your prayers.
We know that God is working ALL things together for our good! We're one day closer to seeing the victory and coming home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our teacher in 6th grade showed us "The Hiding Place" and it made quite an impression on me. The bravery of those two sisters was miraculous.

The giving thanks for problems reminded me of Monday's EFT newsletter quote: "Problems are opportunities in work clothes."