Monday, November 17, 2008

Who God is to Us

A friend recently emailed me an interesting question. She asked me who God has been to me during this trip. In the Bible, God is described in many ways-as our Healer, our Peace, our Provider, our Shepherd, and so on. I asked Nadeem this question, and I'd like to share our answers today. Nadeem said that God has been his Provider. God has given us a place to stay all this time. Many have commented on how remarkable this is. Also, Nadeem added that God has been his Healer. At home Nadeem works out regularly and trains for races and marathons. Here he has not exercised in the 10 weeks that we've been away. At home Nadeem eats pretty carefully. Here he has eaten much unhealthy food on a daily basis. He has marveled at how healthy he has been. When he has gotten sick, God has healed him quickly. Nadeem then said that God is his Teacher. God has taught him the importance of seeking Him for guidance and being still to listen for His whispers. God has taught him humility. Nadeem explained that men take pride in providing for their families, leading their households, and sharing their knowledge with others. Nadeem hasn't been working, we're under another family's roof, and he doesn't speak the language here well. We're considered to be outsiders.
For me, God has been many things. I believe as time goes on God will reveal more and more what this trip has meant and who He was and is. For now, mainly God is my Sustainer. He gives me strength for every single day when I sometimes feel I can't face another. He gives me rest when I need it and strength when I need it. He has also been my Provider. I was really worried about leaving our cats (my original "children"). Through a sad situation of my mom's cat dying, God provided the way for her to stay with our cats. God has provided me with Internet access and a way to post on our blog and a way for me to hear words of encouragement from home. He has provided a way for me to be alone with Him each day. He has given us accomodations and healthy water. All of these things I prayed for before we left. While we've been here God has provided us with our daughter! He has provided in many seemingly small ways-a chance to go outside when I really needed it, some fresh coconut when my supply of healthy snacks from home ran out, Kalina's packages, and so much more.
We are hoping to know Him soon as our Deliverer! Please continue to pray for us. This could be a major week with possible US approval! Pray for wisdom and diligence for all involved in processing our fingerprints.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys. I recently sent your story to a friend of mine named Chuck. He has a wonderful world-wide ministry via e-mail. I knew this would enlist many new prayer warriors. I hope it was ok. His latest e-mail...known as The Note of Encouragement...is copied below (be sure and read the final paragraph). With love, Cindy and Ed

A Note of Encouragement

Volume VIII, Issue 46 November 17, 2008

The past few weeks have been difficult. It began when I stood up after eating and immediately doubled over in pain. Then, while driving from church, my daughter hit a deer. My older son learned the store where he works is closing. And my younger son had his wallet stolen and along with all his money, licenses, etc., etc. We weren't very happy about all this.

But Beverly and I chose to be close to God, so we prayed. He responded by easing my pain and showing me how to handle the newly discovered arthritis in my hip. My daughter was perfectly safe and her car, which miraculously had minor damage, was soon repaired. My older son has a new job starting in a few weeks. And a stranger found and helped return my other son's wallet. Then a new chapter began.

A friend of the family, already with a terrible disease, suddenly became ill and had to be rushed to the hospital. Within 24 hours he had a massive heart attack. Within 48, he was gone. Then a longtime friend of mine, also with a terrible disease, became ill and had to be admitted to a hospital. Three feet of his small intestine were removed. Then the big shock came. They discovered stage 2 cancer.

Sometimes we receive a thorn in the flesh. At others, we get the entire bush. In this respect, we are just like everyone else on the planet. We all have our problems, difficulties, tragedies, dead ends, and broken dreams. But what separates us from the rest of the world is how we respond to such times in our lives. As I thought about this the other day, God reminded me of a special bit of Scripture.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7

I once thought this was only for when we're happy and all is right with the world. The idea that these words could actually be meant for the hardest of times would have been ridiculous to me. Yet that is exactly what they're meant for. It all comes down to understanding what is being said.

Rejoice, chairoo, means not just to express great joy, but also to thrive, grow and develop. The word epieikes, translated gentleness, reaches further, expressing control over all our emotions so that we are gentle, kind, patient, merciful, bearing others' burdens, and ready to forgive. And being anxious or merimnao is not merely being concerned, but filled with paralyzing caution and fear.

Thanksgiving, eucharistia, is gratitude freely given with no strings attached. To present your requests, gnorizo, means to declare and make them known. Peace is the word eirene...a quietness and time of rest, but also freedom from the rage and havoc of war. And then there's guard, phroureo...to be a watcher, a sentinel to hem in and protect. So when we understand the fullness of this passage, we have:

Thrive and grow in the Lord. Let it e clear to everyone that you are gentle, kind, patient, merciful, bearing others burdens, and ready to forgive. Do not be paralyzed in times of concern or fear but, with gratitude, make your prayers known to God. Then He will give your spirit rest, a quietness you will not be able to understand. You will be free of the destruction from the spiritual war around you, for this divine peace will watch over you, surround you, and protect you.

There is one thing left we cannot miss. Ho Kurios eggus. The Lord is near. He is near in both time and place. For those who refuse to rejoice in the Lord, this is a warning. Draw close to the Lord and let everyone know. For those who choose to thrive and grow in the Lord, it is a comfort. The Lord is near. He is here in times of trouble. He will give us peace and rest. He will protect us.

Though this Scripture promises peace, these words are meant for war, the spiritual war that rages all around us. They are a King's orders to His people for how the war is to be waged. They are His assurance of victory that will bring them peace. And they are His plans for how they will find success in this war, in grateful prayer. I pray we will be found ready, for...the Lord is near.

Special Request...As you fight the good fight this week, remember Nadeem and Sherri Kaiser, a Christian couple trying to adopt a child in Bangladesh. They have been detained there for more than 9 weeks due to various problems, the latest concerning their fingerprints and the inability of those in their home country (USA) to process a new set. I encourage you to read about their incredible journey at www.bangladeshlove.blogspot.com. Pray and make known your request to God. Rejoice in Him and let the world see that He is the one true King. And take a moment to encourage Nadeem and Sherri.

Take care and be God's,

Chuck

Unknown said...

Sherri & Nadeem,

We are praying for wisdom, peace, guidance, patience, understanding, and provision for the two of you. We will also pray that the channels will open for you to come home soon.

Michael & Debbie

Anonymous said...

God Bless YOU three!!! God will always answer our heartfelt prayers if it is HIS wish for our lives and fulfills HIS purpose. Trust with blind faith that God can and will provide for all your needs for your new family. What a blessing, what a gift. A new child to love and cherish, and already you are teaching her about God!!! What wonderful parents you will be and how pleased God must be. God has already planned your journey home and your family will be provided for. My last child is named GRACE for God's Grace in my life.
GOD BLESS YOU I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

Blessings,
Dawn Nowak & Family
Indiana

Jill said...

Just want you to know that I am thinking of you constantly and praying for all of you to be home safely very soon. I pray that the US approval will come this week and that you will be celebrating Thanksiving at home! There is a tone of renewal in your post today. I hope you are feeling strengthened for the remainder of your journey. I am also saying prayers of thanks for Hasan's wonderfully generous family who has provided so much for you all.

With love,
Jill

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering - have you guys actually adopted yet?

Anonymous said...

You and your family are constantly in my thoughts, Sherri. I have been delivered several times in the Navy and thus believe that just the same will happen for you.

dory said...

It's a sham God wasn't there for the mother of your daughter and enabled her to raise her. What a loss for both.