Monday, November 10, 2008

The Power of Our Praying Church

We woke this morning to some disappointing news-not only did we not get approval and nobody has any answers as to why but we also learned that tomorrow is Veterans' Day which means that we have to wait yet another day to possibly hear the good news. Wham! Another arrow from the enemy. Our shield of faith is weak right now, so some of the arrows do penetrate.
On the positive side, we've received messages letting us know that our story is reaching more people, specifically more praying people, including Nadeem's tennis team, friends from our former church, and former teaching colleagues and bosses of mine. We're so grateful for your prayer support!
There's a very cool story in the book of Acts about Peter being thrown in prison by Herod who was trying to harrass the church. Look at this: "Peter was kept in prison, but constant prayer was offered to God for him by the church." (Acts 12:5) That's what is happening here! We are hearing reports of constant prayer by all of you at home! Then an angel came and set Peter free. Peter exclaimed, "Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel and has delivered me..." (Acts 12:11). Interestingly, when Peter got to the door where people were praying, they didn't believe he could really be at the door. Please, friends, when we return home, open the door and don't act shocked! God IS hearing your prayers! He IS bringing us home! :)
Please remember that our battle is not "against flesh and blood (i.e. the USCIS/Texas Processing Center/government) but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Ephesians 6:12). Right now we are in desperate need of fervent prayer for strength physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
If you're new to reading our blog and haven't read all the entries, you may not know that we never picked this journey. We never had a desire to adopt, much less come to Bangladesh. God called us to do this, and we obeyed, reluctantly, I might add. He also called me to give up my dearly loved teaching job without having any idea of how this would turn out. I did this way before He revealed the plan of how we'd adopt Kalina.
This winter, my friend Lisa gave me the Message translation of one of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 29:11. It was very meaningful: "I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out-plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for." As I cried and cried over ending my teaching job, I said to God repeatedly, "You know what You're doing." Even though I didn't know, God did. Now this is still true. God knows what He's doing. We don't. Just as we couldn't predict how God's hand would work in us getting Kalina, we have no idea what He has planned for our deliverance. I believe when it happens, we'll know it was God.
I want to conclude with a paraphrase of Romans 4:18-21. "Against all hope (Nadeem and I) believe...without weakening in our faith we face the facts (that we are still here in Bangladesh, that we feel weaker each day, that nobody has an answer of why we can't get approval, that we now have to change our flight arrangements for the third time, that Nadeem now has no paycheck and we have adoption expenses plus regular household expenses, that his job is in jeopardy). Yet we do not waver in our faith regarding the promise of God and are strengthened in our faith and give glory to God being fully persuaded that God has the power to do what He has promised."
Thank you, faithful prayer warriors!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sherri & Nadeen, I only saw your story on Fox Five News at 10.00 p.m on Sunday. I quickly emailed members of our Tennis team since I didn't hear anything from them. Your faith and trust in the Lord Almighty has given me so much confidence that you will pull through this victoriously. Both of you will soon be able to claim these much quoted scriptures: " I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me". And "we are more than conquerers".

We will continue to pray that God will make a way for you. God bless you. Ken (Evergreen Tennis Team and Victory World Church member.

fooksie said...

Sherri, I just wanted to let you know that we are all praying for you. Your story has reached so many people over the last few days. You have soldiers for God stretched far and wide, fighting for you to come home. I know that you have to be tired and exhausted, but remember that God will never give you anything that the two of you can't handle together. There are so many people praying for you and with a prayer circle as big as yours there is no way that you won't be victorious. You will be blessed for listening to God. We will continue to pray for you and share your story. We know with great faith you will be home soon.

Tena said...

Sherri & Nadeen,

Sing praises because you will be coming home soon. So many people are hearing your story and praying for you. I have shared your story with several people and they are reading your blog and praying for ya. You are so strong in your faith. I know it is hard to have faith and understand at times but stay strong in the Lord. We love you and are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Checking for updates and looking forward to tomorrow, and each day until you are home...

laurelaggie said...

We are praying, too. Madison told me that she prays every night for you guys. We check your blog everyday for updates. I have shared your story with my women's small group and they are praying, too. God is good and He keeps his word!

Sam O'Neal said...

Nadeem and Sherri,

I just learned today of your ordeal from Patti Robinson and Jean Swanda. Minton and I will keep you in our prayers till we know you are safely returned to your home with your precious Kalina.

Thank you for sharing your faith so openly throughout this journey. God is faithful but we all need to be reminded sometimes. Faith is simple but not easy!

Love you and will keep you in our prayers.

Sam O'Neal

Patti said...

We heard of your story on Fox5news yesterday and are praying for your safe return soon. Please know that others are praying for you, Nadeem and Kalina. I was reminded of a verse I read today, Romans 1:8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. YOUR faith is being reported all over the world just like the saints in Rome! I pray for God's strength, courage, patience and guidance until we see you all again to welcome you home! Love, Patti & George

VICTORIA said...

I read your blog. Be strong because God could be using you to witness to those in that country in order to lead some to Christ.Don't lose the Faith
Romans 5
Peace and Joy
1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a]have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we[c] also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.
My husband and I have been trying to adopt a Faoster child for 3 years now. Due to my deafness and low vision I have to have forms from my Neurologist telling about my medical problems, but what we have given the DHR is not good enough. We have had our fingerprints redone3 times and Thursday we have to redo them because their machine is not picking them up.
Wednesday we had our third home inspection because our caseworker (3) have quit here at the DHR, and we were not notified of this. We had to wait several months for a new one. We just met our third caseworker. Each time we feel the DHR is not doing their job we remind ourselves that God has a reason and thins work in His time not ours (Ecc.3:1-8).
I am unable to have children for health reasons.I had miscarried our first and only child. I asked my husband one day what he thought about adopting and he said no so I prayed asking God when the time was right to please put it on our hearts to agree, and to show us what to do to adopt. One day he, George, came home from work and told me he spoke with a friend who had just adopted their foster child, and he asked me what I thought about adopting a foster child. My heart was jumping for joy because I knew God had answered my prayers.
My prayers are with you. Don't give up just like my husband and I will not give up until the day God closes those doors and our prayers for adoption are no longer answered. That is the day you will know that God is telling you that He is saying NO. I agree with your MOM Sherri that it may be another person you need to go through. Sometimes we think that we are doing the right thing, but God is trying to tell us to go in another direction so He closes off things. You just have to follow the arrows (so to speak). That is what George and I are doing.
I even contacted our Congressman to see if I really had to have all this medical stuff just to adopt because my friends did not nor did George. Our Congressman sent me back the state law which stated that if a person has a physical disability or disease that may be contagious or harmful to a child we have to have letters from our doctors stating that our heath is in good enough condition to raise a child. Not that my health is harmful nor contagious, but the DHR wants to be prepared because no one is familiar with my health condition other than my doctors and I
It is all in God's hands so don't worry. We know what you are going through we have to go and get our fingerprints for the 4th time Thursday. Then after we get my medical form back (it took 3 months last time) we are done. They will finally send our file to State to see if we are approved. We are praying hard and we trust God all the way. God is our Rock and means everything to us. We know He will work it out. I know God will work things out for you too. Keep the Faith, keep praying and don't give up.
God bless,
Victoria from Alabama