Monday, September 15, 2008

Waiting on God

Yesterday we lost power for the first time. We had been told that this happens here a lot, especially during storms. Every family with money owns a generator, so at least you have some lights and fans.
Right now we're in a waiting mode. It's very hard. If you've ever prayed and waited for God to act, you know what I mean. We still don't have Kalina. Yesterday Nadeem and Hasan's mom went to request her birth certificate. We also need her passport. Communication is poor, and we're often in the dark. We do not know at this point how or when we'll get US approval.
In the Bible, nearly everyone waited on God. There are so many verses about waiting. I had read some good advice. When you are waiting, go back and remember what God has said and done before regarding this situation. Today I want to talk about Kalina's name. When I was a little girl, I selected the name Kalina for my daughter. When Nadeem and I were dating, he also loved the name. When God called us to adopt, we had no idea how many kids or which kids He wanted us to bring home. This spring, God revealed that we were to adopt one little girl, a baby. Since this wasn't "my plan" but God's, I assumed that He already had a name for the child. We also thought that maybe the child would already have a name. We learned that the names the orphans have do not have any meaning or love attached, so you should give a new name. Kalina only had a first name originally. One night in May, Nadeem and I were talking about the name. He asked if I still wanted Kalina. I was in a bad frame of mind because it was the last week of school and I was giving up the job I loved to follow a path I had never chosen. I told Nadem I didn't care about the name. Later I went upstairs and felt a strong urge to find the meaning of the name. I didn't want to, but I looked it up on the computer. At first it meant nothing to me, but suddenly I understood. You see, for a week we had this beautiful rosebush blooming in our backyard. Nadeem and I do not like to be in the yard, so to see this was simply amazing. Surrounded by tall weeds, this bush produced these vibrant hot pink roses. Every day we were astounded by the beauty. Kalina's name means "beautiful flower to love." I cried as I realized that God had already designed a perfect plan to "give me the desires of my heart". He hadn't called me to this difficult path to result in agony, but in great joy.
Next Nadeem and I began to pray about Kalina's middle name. After some time, Nadeem told me that he felt God say that her middle name should start with M and mean miracle. Well, all of the names I found like that sounded pretty bad! We continued to pray. One afternoon I listened on-line to a sermon about God as your provider. I really needed to hear it that day. In the middle of it, I suddenly knew Kalina's middle name! The sermon told about Abraham offering Isaac as a sacrifice. God showed up and provided for him. The place was Moriah. I looked this up. Some scholars feel it means "chosen by God." It shows God as your provider.
Lastly, one day as I was driving the name "Kalina Joy" came into my head. I had no idea why. Much later, I discovered that joy means victory in Bangla. This week I learned that all Bangladesh children have a special nickname that just their immediate family uses. I know that God looks at Kalina and calls her chosen, victorious, and beautiful flower to love!
For me, I know that God has said that I wuold know Him as my provider and my victory.
Isaiah 40:31 "But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles. They shall run and not grow weary. They shall walk and not faint."

3 comments:

Jill said...

Hi, Sherri and Nadeem

Each day we look forward to following your journey. Thanks for sharing so much of what you are going through. We know it must be so difficult to wait and to have so many questions unanswered. Your faith in God is inspiring to us. The story of Kalina's name is very beautiful.

It was interesting to hear about your experiences in the city and mall. It is so easy to think that our way of life in the US is the only way. It is wonderful to realize that it is a wide world with a huge mosaic of lifestyles and cultures. I particularly enjoyed the tidbit about the shoe store with the storage above! :)

We pray that all of the adoption process will be completed soon. We pray for God to grant you patience as you wait. We thank Him for opening your hearts to this adoption!

Love, Jill & Dave

Lydia said...

Hi dudes! I miss you so much! I hate that you guys don't have Kalina in your arms yet, but I know it's only a matter of time. God will come through for you so stay strong! I will continue to pray for you guys and will read the blog daily. I love being able to read and see what's going on over there! Can't wait til you guys get back and we get to meet Kalina Joy!

Love ya and Miss ya dude!
Lydia

Unknown said...

Ello guys,
I hope that all is getting a bit better and a bit easier over there. After reading the blogs I think it's pretty brave of you to travel around the globe and leave all of your regular surroundings. When you wrote about the meaning of Kalina's name and the path that you took to get where you are today I think God is truly by your side and wants this to happen. I know that you have been through many obsticles and face some more but I know that all will turn out well for you two. I know that Kalina will have a wonderful life since she will be blessed with wonderful parents. I have you in my prayers.
Love,
Chandler Phillips