Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dark before the dawn

We're having a hard time right now. Our departure date is rapidly approaching, yet we have no US approval. We feel we're surrounded by darkness. We have no idea when or how we can return home with Kalina. We're faced with silence when we're asking for help. Our minds are racing with questions: What about Nadeem's job? What about our responsibilites at home? What do we do to get home?
Tonight Kalina had a stomachache. For about an hour I carried her around, bounced her, and rocked her with her against my chest. Most of the time she wailed. I was drenched with sweat and exhausted by the time she settled down. It was a frustrating and somewhat scary experience. Normally she's such a sweet little girl. In the middle of her crying spell, the police officer from the passport office arrived to ensure that she is legitimately our child and that we're not trying to obtain a passport for her to smuggle her out of the country to sell her on the black market. The whole time she cried we prayed over her. When I heard that the officer had arrived and wanted to see her, I nearly cried along with her! When we took her to see the officer she was a perfect angel. He quickly viewed us and waved us away. During her crying spell, it felt like it would never end, that I would be stuck like that forever not able to comfort her. This is what our life feels like right now, like we'll be here forever and this trial will never end. However, God sees the big picture. One day we'll look back and know that this was temporary, just like Kalina's crying spell. We're all standing in faith that God will bring us home. What's difficult is to surrender the plan to Him. We don't know the timing; He does. God brought me to this passage in the book Streams in the Desert: "You may have to experience the very worst before you are delivered, but you will be delivered! God may keep you waiting, but He will always remember His promise and will appear in time to fulfill His sacred Word that cannot be broken. It is always safe to trust God's methods and to live by His clock. Difficulty is actually the atmosphere surrounding a miracle, or a miracle in its inital stage. Yet if it is to be a great miracle, the surrounding condition will not simply be a difficulty but an utter impossibility. And it is the clinging hand of His child that makes a desperate situation a delight to God."

1 comment:

Kim Overcash said...

I have read all of your recent posts and have enjoyed hearing of your new experiences with Kalina. Comparing the eating schedules and sleeping schedules to Joshua - they are so similiar. I love hearing you talk about being a new mom (since I am too) and listening to your ups and downs, because we all have them. Even though I haven't replied lately you all are always in our prayers. Continue to protect Kalina and cling to God even thru the silence.

During this journey, like so many in our lives we must look back and reflect on how many times God has delivered us and met our needs with his perfect provision. We are trusting him to do the same in your situation.

When I struggle with silence or feel darkness I always find comfort in this song by Mercy Me. When the devil seems to loom around I usually shout back at him to leave and then start praising God with song. I hope you find some comfort in these words as I have, and continue to do so. (I posted only part of the lyrics)

"Hold fast
Help is on the way
Hold fast
He's come to save the day
What I've learned in my life
One thing greater than my strife
Is His grasp
So hold fast

Will this season ever pass?
Can we stop this ride?
Will we see the sun at last?
Or could this be our lot in life?
Please do not let go
I promise you there's hope

You may think you're all alone
And there's no way that anyone could know
What you're going through
But if you only hear one thing
Just understand that we are all the same"

We love and support and stand by your all.

Faithfully,
Kim, Jon and Joshua